“Women who show an interest in cigar smoking sometimes need a helping hand. It is really important to have an appropriate environment for it. Exactly the same way that it’s essential to choose the right cigar” explains Sarah Saunders, who in 2012, founded the Women’s International Cigar Club.
The idea of founding a cigar platform especially for women came about during her travels through Cuba. The professional event manager and chef was impressed by the equanimity, the resilience, the elegance – and the celebration of physicality coupled with intelligence.
“Over time, I decided I wanted to provide a platform for women to discover the pleasure of cigars and in so doing, gain confidence about themselves and learn about the world of Cigars” stresses Sarah Saunders. Over the years, she has developed a similar passion and knowledge for cigars that she has for cooking, wine and music.
What’s particularly nice is that the Women’s International Cigar Club is a very open association – non cigar smokers and men are also welcome. Women have been an integral part of the cigar scene for quite a while now. Many women in the Cigar Society nowadays have more stories contributing to the cigar industry.
The main survey results:
– 90% of the women introduced their friends to cigar smoking.
– 69% of interviewed passionals like to enjoy a cigar along with a fine drop.
– 90% indicate that they don’t care with whom they enjoy a cigar. Only 4% prefer to smoke in the company of other women; 6% rather smoke with men.
– 86% prefer to indulge in fine smoking during the evening.
– 71% feel comfortable smoking in the presence of their families.
– 39% of women admitted to calling themselves cigar smokers only six months after having enjoyed a cigar for the first time. 21% were immediately smitten with fine smoking after their very first cigar.
– 90% stand behind their hobby even outside of the cigar community, they talk openly about it.